Business Development Manager’s role in the Country Leadership Team (CLT)
- Support the CLT to manage relationships and processes relating to Donors and partners (NGOs and communities), including partner assessment and engagements
- Take responsibility as part of the CLT for risk management processes in-country
- Direct and lead the development and roll out of a Resource Acquisition and Management strategy
- Support the localisation of Plan International Ghana Resource mobilisation Strategy in line with the Ghana CS, Regional Resource Mobilisation Plan and the corporate Resource Moblisation Strategy
- Facilitate the identification of Plan International Ghana programme priorities for fundraising.
- Defines RM Strategy for financial mobilization of resources
- Participate and play a key role in the development and periodic review of Plan International Ghana’s CS
- Provide direction in the development of individual Programme and Influencing Areas fundraising strategies
- Lead in ( In-country and External) Donor Market intelligence /trend analysis
- Develop appropriate Donor Network both In-country and External sources to grow CO grants portfilo
- Support in identifying in-country funding and partnership opportunities both internal and external donors.
- Facilitate ethical checks, risk assessment and Go and No Go Decision
- Work with CLT members, and the BDU Team to ensure an active donor engagement plan is in place (complete with updated donor mapping, donor engagement tracking and updated action plans), and updated monthly
- Lead the process for identifying & exploring new fundraising opportunities; review and summarize funding requirements from various donors; evaluate & recommend response to fundraising opportunities.
- Responsible for ensuring the marketing of concept papers, proposals, country strategic plans with relevant National Offices and donors
- Work with the Grants Coordinator to establish and maintain a data bank of concept papers/proposals.
- Network with other INGO’s, NGO’s, Private Sector and current/potential donors to facilitate partnership & coalitions for advocacy & fundraising.
- Review and sign-off on all proposals, prior to CD/PSM sign-off, before submission to the NO or donor to ensure that minimum quality and cost recovery requirements are met.
- Lead FAD negotiations to ensure stage 1 & 2 (to ensure proposal reviews are completed and min standards met), and stage 3 (to ensure that all contracts are received and reviewed before signature.), and to include appropriate reporting and implementation requirements.
- Ensure that the pipeline is effectively monitored, with the timely completion of the Global Pipeline Monitoring Tool (GPMT), and input into WACA reporting requirements.
- Ensure the smooth coordination of all proposal development efforts at the national, regional/PU, and community levels
- Oversee the research and development of new proposals to a high standard, using participatory, empowering approaches, in line with the country strategy and annual growth plan
- Support Programme Influencing Area resource mobilizations where and whenever necessary.
- Ensure that grant management procedures are fully supported by all CLT members
- Ensure that all Funding Agreement Documents (FADs) are authorized, updated, and disseminated as and when necessary.
- Ensure that new and existing grants are adequately recorded in SAP or equivalent
- Ensure Grant/FAD files & filing systems (both electronic and hard copies) are properly maintained.
- Support the effective start-up of new grants (system set-up, FAD activation, start-up workshop etc.)
- Hold monthly calls with project managers to monitor progress on grants & hold quarterly updates with NO colleagues on project
- Conduct regular PU visits to support grant monitoring, compliance and reporting
- Update key grant management systems, including donor reporting trackers and grant status report.
- Support the effective closure of grants (including assets transfer, final evaluation, audits and reporting, and final system closure).
- Promote a grants friendly environment; via training, sensitization, capacity building, of grant staff
- Provide adequate training to field staff on Specific Grants management skills (including proposal and report writing)
- Understand and assimilate the complexity of Plan’s grants business development and systems and procedures, organizational structures and decision-making processes;
- Support the Finance Team to monitor grant compliance and, ensure Plan Ghana responds professionally to all compliance and audit issues, follow-up on audit findings and evaluation recommendation
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation of grants programs, including audits.
- Facilitate the preparation on Grants Projects and grants department for audits and audit action responses/follow ups
Donor/NO Relations -
- Act as the focal point for all resource mobilization and grant management related communications to/from the National Organizations; including donor opportunities, responding to donor queries; requests for visits, etc.
- Coordinate with National Organizations and CLT regarding external audits required by donors.
- Prepare & ensure donor/NO visit objectives are met.
- Engage with donors and represent the organization in a professional manner which reflects positively on Plan as an organization;
- Facilitate donor meetings as part of a capacity building exercise.
- Participate in networking, partnership and donor-relations activities – being an ambassador of Plan in cultivating relationships with donors and partners
- Direct the process for Plan Ghana to become a “Go to Organisation” for Donors especially Corporates and Individual High Networth
- Ensure that the Resource Acquisition and Management Team works well internally and closely coordinates its various planning and implementation (proposal development and grant management) activities with departments such as Programmes, Administration, People and Culture, Finance, Procurement/Supply Chain, and Information, Communication and Technology.
- Ensure systems, processes and procedures are in place to implement core work tasks.
- Ensure that management systems and procedures ensure efficiency, accountability and good working relationships with donors, counterparts, Plan Ghana partnership colleagues, and beneficiaries.
- Facilitate capacity enhancement of staff and grants partners on grant policies, grants development and management through mentoring and training.
- Ensure staff and grants project subgrantees and subgrantors have the necessary skills to manage the projects , engage with donors, and fundraise
- Ensure accomplishment of the team business/work-plan, objectives and targets as related to achieving Plan Ghana annual Resource Mobilization main goals and objectives.
Manage Department’s operational team budget.
- Monitor individual employee performance and conduct regular, ongoing management and biannual performance evaluations.
- Recruit, develop and motivate a high performing Business Development team
- Provides timely and quality support for disaster preparedness and execution of activities during emergencies and manages associated risks in this regard
- Maintain gender sensitivity towards staff and Plan associates to ensure gender equity at all times
- Fulfil Plan’s Child Protection and Safe Guarding Policy at all times
- Perform any other duties to be assigned
Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience in Grants Acquisition and Management and Business Development/ Fund Raising
- Preferably At least 7 years work experience with international development or humanitarian organizations.
- Demonstrated track record developing successful funding proposals for major institutional donors.
- Capacity building experience in project design, implementation, reporting, and evaluation.
- Preferably knowledge of funding cycles, strategic priorities, and requirements of major donors such as GAC, EU, USAID, JICA, GF, MoFA, World Bank, Africa Development Bank etc.
- Excellent proposal and report writing skills.
- Fundraising skills
- Program/project management skills
- Networking and partnership development
- Strong team building and motivational skills
- Strong negotiation, facilitating and influencing skills\
- Development and / or humanitarian programming experience, and a good understanding of international development and humanitarian issues
- Applied knowledge of project and grant cycle management including problem analysis, project design, financial planning and management, and monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience securing institutional funding grants and contracts at a multimillion level
- Experience preparing quality narrative and financial reports for institutional donors
- Sound knowledge of humanitarian funding policy and typical contract rules and procedures
- Experience of establishing and cultivating strong donor relationships that have delivered substantially increased income
- Experience of managing a team of staff and promoting high performance.
- Confidence to operate in a strategic leadership role and to engage with senior managers
- Ability to think and work proactively and flexibly, creatively and strategically under pressure or when faced with competing demands.
- Ability to work well in a team and cross-organizational and to establish excellent relationships
- Ability to handle the conflicting priorities of maximizing funding opportunities with staff capacity development
- Excellent advisory skills in ensuring a positive outcome to his/her observations.
- Demonstrate creativity in seeing opportunities to present to Country Leadership Team (CLT) and Extended country leadership team (ECLT)