Senior Program Development Officer (SPDO)
The SPDO plays a key role in supporting the COP to effectively manage and implement the Task Order. The SPDO’s responsibilities may include: oversight of TAP programming; financial, procurement, and budgeting management; human resources, personnel recruitment and management; subcontractor management; and Task Order start-up and close-out. The SPDO is responsible for ensuring compliance with USAID rules and regulations and coordinating with the Contractor Home Office on all compliance issues, seeking legal and policy guidance on any applicable restrictions. The SPDO will be expected to have a good grasp of the programmatic aspects of the program and be prepared to step in as needed to support the Chief of Party (COP) and other program staff in activity development aspects of the project while staying apprised of the evolution of the local political, legal, and economic situation to help inform adaptative programming.
Responsibilities: The SPDO is responsible for:
- The SPDO, in conjunction with the COP, will be responsible for overseeing activity development, including supervising and mentoring a team to develop complex activities (small grants) in a highly scrutinized transition environment. As such, the SPDO will be expected to have a good grasp of the programmatic aspects of the program and be prepared to step in as needed to support the COP and other program staff in activity development aspects of the project while staying apprised of the evolution of the local political, legal, and economic situation to help inform adaptive programming.
- Assist the COP in providing oversight of grant activities, including supervising program staff, ensuring appropriate grant design, ensuring that procedures are established and complied with for grant development, grant worthiness, grant implementation, management, monitoring, evaluation, and grant closing.
- In collaboration with staff in-country, identify program opportunities and potential local partners and provide timely analysis of political and security developments.
- Under the guidance of the COP and USAID, contribute to the design and implementation of the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning system at the activity and program levels and for ensuring that all programming is properly monitored and evaluated.
- Work with the COP, Operations Manager, and other staff to improve implementation processes throughout the program.
- In conjunction with the COP, develop familiarity with, and maintain daily usage of, the project web-based database, and ultimately is responsible for ensuring that the relevant staff use and maintain the database, and that data is consistent and complete.
- For senior-level: a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant work experience and a bachelor’s degree or eleven (11) years of relevant work experience without a bachelor’s degree.
- Relevant experience entails working on donor-funded projects in a related role.
- Experience working in developing countries is required.
- The candidate should be fluent in USAID’s policies and procedures in regards to human resources, financial management, financial reporting, and procurement processes, systems, and grants management.
- Strong written and oral communication and analytical skills.
- Financial management experience, including budgeting; financial management (tracking, reporting and accounting); and procurement.
- Fluency in written and oral English and French
Highly Desired Qualifications
The following are highly desired but not required:
- Experience with a donor, contractor, or international NGO managing an office or program.
- Experience working on donor-funded projects in a related role with demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in establishing systems and overseeing program start-up under limited time constraints.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in overseeing program close-out.
- Experience working in X COUNTRY.
- Experience working in countries in the Sahel undergoing transition.
- Experience with remote management in transition environments.
- Experience working in security challenged environments.
- Experience with grants management.
Note: Experience on OTI projects is desirable. Indicate the Country you reside in.