The person will perform a variety of functions and roles including:
· Ordering, displaying stock and working with publishing companies and representatives.
· Processing customer orders and book reservations;
· Handling payments by cash and the use of electronic point of sale (EPOS) technology;
· Stock-checking books and, depending on the shop, other merchandise;
· Creating in-store and window displays;
· Maintaining commercial awareness including identifying business and promotional opportunities;
· Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of current titles and changes in the market;
· Liaising with teaching and library staff on set texts in schools;
· Reviewing sales performance and meeting sales targets;
· Undertaking general housekeeping duties, such as unpacking, stock replenishment and tidying.
· Paying and processing invoices;
· Processing book deliveries and returns;
· Dealing with enquiries and identifying customer needs;
· Offering advice and recommending books, where appropriate.