PROJECT TITLE: BONGO REFORESTATION PROJECT
OVERALL AIM: To support communities in the implementation of the project, monitoring and evaluation and reporting.
RESPONSIBLE TO: The Country Programmes Manager
JOB DURATION: Full-Time three years position (depending on availability of funds)
Duty Station: Bolgatanga – Bongo, Upper East Region, Ghana
Start date: For Immediate employment
TREE AID is a specialist international development organisation headquartered in the UK with operations in five countries within West and East Africa: Burkina Faso, Ghana, Mali, Niger and
Ethiopia. Founded in 1987 by a group of foresters, TREE AID has since been working with African and other international partners, towards poverty alleviation and environmental protection in the
drylands of Africa.
TREE AID Ghana seek to recruit one Project Officer (PO) to implement the Bongo Reforestation project with Funding from TREES FOR ALL. Working within the framework of TREE AID Programme Strategy, the Bongo Reforestation Project PO will be responsible for tasks as follows:
1 Guide and Support communities on the implementation of the Bongo Restoration project
- 1.1 Lead on TREE AID’s initiatives at organising communities for joint actions in the implementation of the project to time and budget.
- 1.2 Lead on Tree Aid’s initiatives at restoring riparian ecosystems through planned and systematic River-bank reforestation and watershed management efforts.
- 1.3 Coordinate efforts at ensuring the continuous availability of tree resources upon which rural enterprises rely on for their sustainability while contributing to biodiversity conservation.
- 1.4 Mobilise community members into working groups to jointly undertake project activities in selected communities.
- 1.5 Provide Sensitization programmes aiming at reversing degraded lands and facilitate community adoption of best practices.
- 1.6 Liaise with communities to prepare accurate and timely project reports, providing clear Terms of Reference and ensuring consistency with TREE AID reporting requirements.
- 1.7 Provide technical, financial and project management advice and recommendations to partners/stakeholders where appropriate.
- 1.8 Provide support to develop and maintain a arc GIS supported platform for keeping a database of key project outcomes and producing suitable products for outreach.
- 1.9 Liaise with local partners/stakeholders to plan for regular field monitoring visits and feedback.
- 1.10 Contribute to provide fundraising and communications support/information to staff in the UK as appropriate.
- 1.11 Contribute to evaluate projects delivery, including end of Project assessments and post project evaluation studies.
2 Support the development of TREE AID Ghana’s wider programme
- 2.1 Support the identification and tracking of opportunities for new river trees and restoration projects in Ghana.
- 2.2 Contribute to the identification and formulation of activities to enhance Community resilience to climate variability through improved local adaptation knowledge in Ghana.
- 2.3 Liaise with local partners/stakeholders on TREE AID’s natural resources management in formulating and developing appropriate complementary tree resource management and conservation initiatives in Ghana.
- 2.4 Support arrangements for and co-facilitating programme training workshops.
- 3.1 Where appropriate, represent TREE AID Ghana at meetings and workshops relevant to TREE AID’s work as agreed with the GCPM
- 3.2 Be prepared to undertake visits to all of TREE AID focus countries when required
- 3.3 Carry out other tasks as agreed with your line manager.
4. KEY SUCCESS FACTORS FOR THIS POST
- 4.1 Contribute to Raising the profile of TREE AID’s River Trees Project(s) with external audiences and donors under the CPM supervision.
- 4.2 Achieving agreed job targets.
- 4.3 Timely provision of projects reports and other information required
- 4.4 Demonstrate srong evidence of effective project monitoring & evaluation and adherence to consistency with TREE AID’s Monitoring & Evaluation systems.
- 4.5 Strong eveidence of project development life cycle
- 4.6 Good communication and relationship building with all staff in Ghana, the UK and West Africa as well as with TREE AID partners and other TREE AID contacts.
5. Qualification and experience required for the job position
- 5.1 Graduate in Renewable Natural Resources, Environment and rural development, Forestry, Horticulture or other related subjects. Master degree in the relevant field will be an added advantage.
- 5.2 Must have three (3) years working experience in a similar position
- 5.3 Excellent attention to details and good field work skills.
- 5.4 Excellent verbal communication and written skills
- 5.5 Ability to balance a number of conflicting demands.
- 5.6 Must be computer literate – good in excel, word, power point and spread sheet.
- 5.7 Must be Confident, hard working, work under pressure, and time conscious.
- 5.8 Ability to work independently, self initiative and with good team work and rapport
- 5.9 Ability to meet deadlines and achieve targets including extensive travel in the field.
- 5.10 Ability to ride a motorbike extensively with relevant license
- 5.11 Must have working knowledge in one of the languages spoken in Upper East Region, Ghana especially Gurune. Ability to speak French is an added advantage.
PERSON SPECIFICATION FOR THE POST OF THE BONGO REFORESTATION PROJECT OFFICER
A = Tested through application I = Tested at interview R = Tested through references T = Tested through a test
- Minimum three years experience within an NGO or in the private sector in the West African sub region (A/I/R)
- Experience in at least one of the following areas of small and medium enterprise development – land restoration approaches, agro food processing businesses, farmer/producer organizations. (A/I/R)
- Knowledge of in watershed management
- Experience in tree and grass multiplication
- Experience in community mobilization
- Graduate in Renewable Natural Resources, Environment and rural development, Forestry, Horticulture or other related subjects. Master degree in the relevant field will be an added advantage.
- BSc Agriculture or forestry
Working Abilities (Essential)
- Ability to multitask and prioritize to meet deadlines (A/I)
- Strong capacity for analysis and summary (A/I/T)
- Positive problem solving approach (A/I/T)
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimum supervision (A/I/R)
- Ability to mentor and provide support to partner/Stakeholders (A/I)
- Willingness to travel frequently to rural areas (A/I)
- Work as part of a team in a supportive way (A/I/R)
- Experience working with local NGO partners and government institutions including traditional authorities
- Very good knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, Access) (A/T)
- Strong communication skills with people at all levels (A/I)
- Good negotiation skills: ability to negotiate win-win outcomes (A/I)
- Project reporting and basic project management skills
- Complete fluency in English and working knowledge of French (A/I/T)
- Knowledge of at least one of Northern Ghana local languages (Gurune)
- High sense of professionalism and attention to quality (A/I)
- Supportive, participatory approach (A/I)
- High level of integrity and sense of responsibility (A/I/R) Commitment to TREE AID's aims and objectives (A/I)
- Delivery of support to beneficiary communities (A/I)
- Continuously developing knowledge in SME development (A/I)