The Policy Officer will support the development and implementation of coherent, integrated and effective policy assistance and governance work at regional, subregional and national levels at RAF. He/she will lead specific activities in the Programme Area of Work on Smart policies, institutions and investments for agrifood systems transformation and contribute to the work on Strategic Foresight and Innovation. The Policy Officer will also contribute to RAF’s activities on strengthening partnerships and knowledge networks within and outside the Organization as well as support country-level actions guided by the Country Programming Framework (CPF).
- Minimum Qualification:Degree
- Experience Level:Entry level
- Experience Length:7 years
- Supports the work carried out by technical or policy officers from headquarters or out-posted staff in the Decentralized Offices in relation to policy and governance work under the FAO Strategic Framework;
- Advocates strategic partnerships, best practices and policy dialogue in support of enhanced governance for food security and nutrition , sustainable agriculture and food systems;
- Participates in specialized or multidisciplinary teams, and high-level policy analysis missions or projects, policy networks and/or international policy setting bodies;
- Interacts with UN Regional and Country teams to improve cross-sectorial policies and strategies concerning food security and nutrition and sustainable development;
- Supports the analysis by the Regional Office of regional and country-level issues to provide input into the identification of country and regional priorities and requirements;
- Designs, implements and monitors regional and subregional policy work programmes and the supporting budgets and/or resourcing strategies;
- Plans, organizes and participates in capacity development activities involving the provision of technical advice and assistance, and oversees the development of related materials, on-line tools and information kits.
- Provides technical assistance on policy priority issues and governance support to FAO’s Members;
- Advises Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and Members to identify, analyse and formulate evidence-based solutions to key policy and governance challenges for sustainable transformation of agrifood systems in Africa;
- Leads the preparation of the Regional Overview of Food Security and Nutrition in Africa report and provides technical support and information to decision-makers on the progress toward achieving zero hunger (SDG 2), thus contributing to the design, implementation and monitoring of food security policies and programmes in Africa;
- Works closely with technical officers across other Programme Areas of Work in the RAF region and relevant FAO Divisions in Rome (Agrifood Economics Division - ESA, Statistics Division - ESS, etc.) to seek and integrate inputs, relevant to the theme of the report;
- Strengthens strategic partnerships, interacts and convenes meetings with key partner agencies and institutions, among others, the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), the World Food Programme (WFP) and the African Union Commission (AUC) and its relevant departments for signing Publication Agreements and for technical contributions to the report, as relevant;
- Organizes policy dialogues, advocates and promotes exchange of best practices in support of enhanced policies and governance for food security and nutrition;
- Provides technical support toward the implementation of the Regional Programme Area of Work on “Smart Policies, Institutions and Investments for Agrifood Systems Transformation”;
- Contributes to the work on Strategic Foresight and Innovation, including analysis and implications of critical drivers, related trends and developments in transforming agrifood systems in Africa;
- Performs other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in political sciences, agricultural economics, development economics, rural sociology, food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture (including livestock, forestry and fisheries), or related field.
- Seven years of relevant experience in policy advice and analysis relating to food security and nutrition , agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes.
- Working knowledge (proficient - level C) of English and limited knowledge (intermediate - level B) of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
- Results Focus
- Team Work
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions.
- Relevance and extent of experience in policy analysis and advice relating to food security and nutrition , sustainable agriculture, and rural development.
- Relevance and extent of experience in working with inter-governmental bodies and multi-disciplinary teams.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the Jobberman Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.