Job Family: Networks
Reports to: IP Support Team Leader
Job Speciality: Operations
The MPBN Support Engineer will be responsible for managing, supervising and providing Expertise support in fault resolution on the IP Transport Network, to ensure equipment availability and proper functionality at all times
Works under minimal supervision, may assist less experienced peers. Independently determines and develops approaches to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy and meeting objectives. Extensive-latitude for independent judgment.
Level of Impact:
• Severe network disruptions resulting in loss of revenue
• Poor network quality resulting in bad brand image
• Increased operational costs
Main Responsibilities and Duties:
• Ensure uptime of the physical network devices and the services running on the network at all times;
• Respond to alerts within the agreed SLAs;
• Minimize the Mean time to repair (MTTR) - time to restore service after an outage;
• Respond to network faults within the agreed time lines respective to the severity levels attached to the faults;
• Perform quarterly disaster recovery and resiliency tests;
• Ensure Network Related Fault Clearance Rate and availability;
• Provide Emergency Maintenance on IP/MPLS Network / High Level trouble shooting;
• Liaise with IP vendors, Interfacing with TAC centers and Vendor Tier 2 and 3 support staff as per agreed SLA timelines;
• Maintain a weekly fault log indicating issues, their resolutions and recommendations;
• Compile and submit incident reports within 2hours of fault resolution;
• Fault prediction & avoidance – Undertake scheduled maintenance checks as per agreed timelines to ensure good physical conditions of the NGN IP transport pop;
• Perform preventive maintenances on the logical set-up to ensure stability of the network and best practice configuration analysis at all times;
• Ensure up-to-date documentation on the network activities and network performance;
• Ensure Knowledge transfer on IP NGN Network to the first line Team, any new IP NGN Engineers and to any external engineers on rotational orientation.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
Works on special projects and assignments as requested by Technical Support Manager
• BSc in Computer Science, Information Systems, Electrical &Electronics /Computer Engineering or equivalent required;
• 4+ years of direct Network Engineering/Network Support experience in a busy Service Provider environment;
• CCNP/CCIP certification a must;
• In depth understanding of QoS, Diffserv, Traffic shaping and traffic QoS policy implementation;
• Experience with network management and monitoring tools (e.g. Cisco LMS/ISC, Ethereal, Cacti, Zabbix);
• Articulate high level understanding of multi-services platforms, routing protocols ISIS / RIP / RSVP / OSPF / BGP / iBGP / and troubleshooting down to packet level;
• Knowledge of QOS techniques and hands on experience on implementing MPLS services;
• Very strong hands-on skills with extensive experience in the troubleshooting and solving complex network related issues.
• Business awareness
• Strong analytical skills and problem solving skills
• Excellent planning skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Excellent and effective communications skills, both orally and in writing
• Interpersonal skills.
• Team player.
• Teaching skills.
• Able to take initiatives.
• Bachelors degree in telecommunications with 4+ years experience in a mobile network.