The Head of Digital Economy will report to the Regional Head, Eastern and Southern Africa and play a critical role in leading the development of the Digital Economy Program strategy. He/She will support the design of country strategies, portfolio design and programming innovation. He/She will also will advise how best to use investments in technology and digital to improve economies and societies. The job holder shall be responsible for digital economy program design, program integration and innovation, institutional learning, employee innovation, and technical expertise in collaboration with colleagues and external partners with expertise in technology and targeted economic sectors (education, agriculture, healthcare, government, infrastructure, entrepreneurship etc.)
The successful candidate will be based in any of our listed offices in Africa (Rwanda, Ethiopia, Uganda, Kenya, South Africa, Ghana and Nigeria).
WAYS YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
- Develop a long-term strategy for showcasing the Foundation as a thought-leader and contributor in advancing Digital Economy in Africa.
- Cascade the strategy into country and regional program teams in collaboration with Country Heads.
- Lead Diagnosis and expertise on digital enabling environment and policy to inform country strategy design, partnership development, and monitoring processes.
- Championing robust implementation of the Foundation’s comprehensive programming approach on digital economy, ensuring coherence with all other programs.
- Facilitating co-design workshops and supporting Programs teams with technical expertise in digital economy geared towards capacity building through knowledge sharing and lessons learnt.
- Identifying new impact opportunities in digital economy, across countries and supporting Country and Regional including scholars teams in actioning them.
- Piloting new programming ideas and collaboration models in digital economy.
- Supporting Country, Regional and Scholars teams to regularly collect and collate learnings from program implementation on digital economy.
- Ensuring that teams have access to leading technical expertise in digital economy. Building communities of practice internally and externally.
- Establish and manage effective relationships with key stakeholders and networks in the public, private, and non-profit sector promoting digital economy on the continent.
- Build and maintain effective business partnerships with other teams within the Foundation.
- Lead a team to achieve the objectives of the digital economy including cultivating performance through coaching and professional development.
WHO YOU ARE
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years of experience in technology sector as it applies to business, government, education, agriculture, healthcare or other economic sectors, with five (5) years of experience leading and managing a team.
- Experience conceptualizing and implementing technology solutions/creating platforms that have influenced/unlocked opportunities in various economic sectors.
- Previous experience working with a technology think tank, innovation hub exploring creative/innovative solutions across multiple sectors.
- Demonstrated expertise and established networks and relationships in various economic sectors like education, agriculture, entrepreneurship, healthcare, government etc.
- Experience with initiating new operations, preferably in complex, emerging markets context.
- Proven experience effectively engaging and collaborating with high-level government officials, key partners, media, business leaders and other network influencers.
- Experience with public speaking at conferences and other forums including media interaction. Formal media training would be an asset.
- Exposure to systems thinking with an ability to understand and engage with stakeholders in an education ecosystem and design programming that addresses root causes and critical needs.
- Substantive knowledge of key issues and emerging trends and barriers to applying technology to augment and accelerate value in sectors like entrepreneurship/business, education, agriculture, healthcare and government.
- Exposure to the various elements and players in technology and digital space: telecom infrastructure, devices, connectivity, software and IT industry products and services, IT Industry global and regional players, cybersecurity and privacy related topics, consumer tech vs. business tech, ecommerce platforms and digital business models. Deep technical understanding of at least one of these elements.
- Intellectually curious and flexible, is comfortable with ambiguity, receptive to new ideas and open to change, when presented with best options.
- Are results driven and motivated by a sense of performance excellence and a sense of urgency; possesses a proactive and ‘self-starter’ mentality.
- Possesses a global mind-set and professional maturity and demonstrates sensitivity to working within different cultures.
- You have a commitment to Mastercard Foundation’s values and vision.
- French language and/or local language skills are an asset.