The Hd. Audit is an expert with a focus on providing the highest level of assurance to the Board of Directors and M.D. /C.E.O that the key risks of the organization have been identified, are effectively and efficiently managed by the first and second lines of defense.
- Consulting stakeholders, including senior managers and non-executive directors/elected representatives on the internal audit strategy.
- Reviewing the organization’s risk maturity (including the organization’s own assessment) and reflecting this in the strategy.
- Develops formulates and implements a risk based internal audit strategy for the organization that fits with and supports the organization’s objectives.
- Provide value-added advice and support to business partners on the creation or modification of policies, procedures, processes, products or services to ensure an appropriate level of internal control and compliance is maintained.
- Design and participates in the planning and implementation of the organization’s audits to be undertaken during the year.
- Advise Management and the Audit Committee on audit and internal control matters.
- Prepares summary reports on audit findings and recommendations to executive management and board Audit Committee
- Reviews and validates the adequacy of the Bank’s disaster recovery/business continuity plan.
- Advises the Board, CEO and other business unit/department managers on necessary training to bring the bank, business unit/department or particular employees up to speed on compliance standards
- Assists the Audit Committee in the fulfilment of its duties and responsibilities, including providing support at meetings of the Audit Committee and in the execution of its functions.
System Audit Management-
- Managing the audit of IT systems in the bank to ensure compliance with standards, applicable regulations & laws,
- Ensure periodic reviews of all bank’s IT systems and applications to test adequacy of the controls in protecting information resources,
- Liaises with IT department to monitor implementation of all IT Projects in the bank to ensure compliance with controls and quality specifications,
- Reviews and periodical validates the operating and design effectiveness of controls over all Information Communication Technology (ICT) systems and resources
- Reviews approvals and access control practices bank wide to ascertain impact on the integrity of information assets and detect possible breaches,
- Assesses the adequacy and extent of programs designed to safeguard assets and prepares and issues reports detailing conclusions and providing recommendations for improvements
- Formulates and implements audit Programme for all systems (operating, application & communications) to minimize risks on business applications
Control Environment - Management, Testing & Remediation
- Identify and document control/process weaknesses as well as provide evidential support for findings
- Evaluate the adequacy of process design & effectiveness of controls in meeting business/ control objectives.
- Propose practical and value added recommendations to address control weaknesses and/or process inefficiencies
- Formulates and implements internal control strategies, policies and procedures to enhance transparency and accountability in banking operations
- Develops and coordinates the implementation of the internal controls and compliance programmes to ascertain and report on degree of alignment and adherence to the bank’s approved policies and operating procedures, laws, regulations and code of good business practices
- Oversees the branch, system and central control activities in the bank and periodically conducts the Control Self-Assessment (CSA) and comprehensive assessment of the effectiveness of internal controls, procedures, and processes
- Reviews and appraises the soundness, effectiveness, and proper application of accounting and financial controls, compliance procedures and controls and makes necessary revisions and/or updates to strengthen the controls environment
- Monitors and periodically conducts spot checks to ascertain whether the bank’s correspondent and internal accounts are reconciled promptly, and the open items are maintained within the threshold
- Provides accurate and objective reports/updates to inform and guide management on the state of compliance with control procedures in the bank,
- Documents compliance breaches and gaps, communicates with Strategic Business units / Strategic Support units heads to remediate such breaches and gaps .
- Investigates violations of the bank’s operational procedures and makes recommendations on appropriate preventive or remedial action,
- Investigates irregularities discovered by or brought to the Internal Audit Unit’s attention, either as requested by Management or any organ of the Board, alleged via whistleblowing or any other source, fraud, embezzlements and irregularities within the Bank, working in cooperation with regulatory and law enforcement agencies in any such cases as deemed necessary.
Educational/professional and Work Experience Requirements
The role has educational and professional requirements highlighted below
- Minimum Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Computer Science or Information Systems (or related disciplines )
- An MBA or CPA is highly desirable and an added advantage.
- A recognized Professional qualification ACCA, CISA, CISM, CIMA etc.) is essential
- 10+ years proven professional and leadership experience in the financial services industry
- Up to date knowledge of current financial and accounting computer applications.
- Commercial Baking and/or Investment Banking experience is highly desirable
- Extensive IFRS9 knowledge
- Hands on operational experience
- Strong people skills.
Job Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of matters relating to Audit
- Extensive systems assurance audit
- Strong enterprise risk management and business control skills
- Extensive transactions investigation skills
- Knowledge and application of relevant regulatory guidelines
- Technical expertise in process analysis, controls and management, financial accounting, review and quality management
- Fraud detection, investigation, control testing,
- Compliance management & audit
- Information systems audit
- Extensive transactions review skills
- Knowledge of banking operations
- Comprehensive knowledge of relevant regulation in matters relating to compliance and internal business controls.
- Strong capacity for leadership and decision making
- Excellent oral & written communication
- Sound investigation and probing ability
- Independence of mind &integrity
- People management & development ability
- Proficient in the use of Ms-Office suite and knowledge of banking applications
Applicants should send Cv's to email@example.com and make the subject of the mail, the Job Title of the role being applied for.