Job Title: Grace Project Field Assistants
Overall Aim: To provide full-time support to TREE AID’s project in the West Gonja District of Savanna region of Ghana. The role will be to work with communities and key stakeholders to implement project activities to time and budget, whilst ensuring the expected impacts for targeted communities through good monitoring and reporting.
Responsible To: The Project Officer (GRACE Project)
Job Duration: One year and possible annual renewable for additional one year depending on availability of funds and satisfactory performance
Location: Based in West Gonja Municipal (Damongo), Savanna Region of Ghana with regular field visits to all project communities.
The project intends to work directly with 3,000 poor smallholder cashew farmers and 600 additional women and young men, and will reach out to indirect beneficiaries of 14,400 people in West Gonja Municipal of the Savanna Region of Ghana. The project seek to create jobs for especially women and the youth and increase and diversify food and income for the rural poor households through integrated management and improve cashew and legume yields in an intercrop system and bee keeping. This will reduce threats to ecosystems in the region. The project intends to reach its goal through the development of NTFPs enterprise groups with business approach. This project will strengthen value chain linkages around cashew nuts, apple, honey and legumes whilst protecting the environment.
Working within the framework of TREE AID Programme Strategy and operational plan, the GRACE Project Field Assistants will be responsible for the tasks as follows:
1 Guide and Support communities on the implementation of the project (60%)
- 1.1 Lead on TREE AID’s initiatives at organising communities for joint actions in the implementation of the project to time and budget.
- 1.2 Support communities to adopt agroforestry practices.
- 1.3 Organise communities into formidable farmer groups
- 1.4 Provide technical trainings to community groups with lead farmer approach
- 1.5 Raise awareness in communities about the inclusion of women in agricultural production and trade.
- 1.6 Facilitate establishment of tree demonstration farms (model farms)
- 1.7 Facilitate trainings of communities on tree silvicultural practices and mensuration
- 1.8 Facilitate community people to work in Village Tree Enterprise (VTE) groups
- 1.9 Lead in tree data collection
- 1.10 Take steps to ensure women access to land for longer period of investment
- 1.11 Facilitate processes for community lead farmers to enhance tree protection and management.
- 1.12 Support cross learning of farmers
2 Support the development of TREE AID Ghana’s wider programme (10%)
- 2.1 Contribute to raising TREE AID’s profile in Ghana and beyond.
- 2.2 Conduct various sensitization programmes in the communities for awareness creation.
- 2.3 Disseminate appropriate information to communities leading to adoption of interventions
- 2.4 Support to arrange and deliver resources to farmers at the right time.
3 Project Monitoring and Evaluation and reporting (20%)
- 3.1 Improve working relation with key stakeholders in the communities
- 3.2 Maintain accurate and reliable data base of all beneficiaries
- 3.3 Organise sessions for stakeholders to monitor and contribute to project success and sustainability
- 3.4 Timely monitoring of post training effects.
- 3.5 Timely preparation of field reports.
- 3.6 Increase joint planning and review with community people
- 3.7 Support to establish baselines, follows ups monitoring and end lines.
- 3.8 Support to conduct RHOMIS and other biodiversity surveys
4 Other (10%)
- 4.1 Prepare for and participate in regular one-to-one progress and planning meetings with the GCPM, and other staff meetings as appropriate
- 4.2 Where appropriate, represent TREE AID Ghana at meetings and workshops relevant to TREE AID’s work as agreed with your line manager.
- 4.3 Carry out other tasks as agreed with management.
Key Success Factors for this Post
- Raising the profile of the GRACE Project with external audiences and donors
- Achieving agreed job targets.
- Punctuality, committed, hard working and timely provision of projects reports and other information required.
- Quick to learn and adapt to changing circumstances, good communication and relations with all staff, in Ghana, the UK and West Africa as well as with TREE AID partners and other TREE AID contacts.
Qualification and experience required for the job position
- HND or University Degree in relevant subject (natural resource management, Agriculture and climate change programmes).
- Must have at least two (2) years working experience in a similar position.
- Must have demonstrated community mobilization skills/ability to work in a team and influence others.
- Ability to work with a wide range of stakeholders
- Excellent verbal communication and writing skills.
- Ability to balance a number of conflicting demands.
- Must be computer literate – good in excel, word, power point.
- Must be confident, hard working, able to work under pressure, and be time conscious.
- Ability to work independently, self initiative and with good team work and rapport
- Ability to meet deadlines and achieve targets including extensive travel in the field.
- Must have working knowledge in one of the languages spoken in northern Ghana especially Gonja and Dagaare.
Please note: TREE AID is an equal opportunities employer and invites candidates from all backgrounds to apply. All applicants who apply for jobs with us will receive fair treatment and will be considered solely on their ability to do the job.