The USAID-funded Ghana Fisheries Recovery Activity In Ghana, implemented by Tetra Tech International Development (http://www.tetratech.com/intdev) is currently accepting expressions of interest for qualified candidates to fill the position of Fisheries Management Specialist. This position will be based in the main office in Accra. The purpose of the Ghana Fisheries Recovery Activity (GFRA) is to prevent the collapse of the small pelagic fishery sector in Ghana while improving the supplemental livelihoods, resilience, and food security.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks:
- The Fisheries Management Specialist plays a major role to ensure the quality and timeliness of GFRA fisheries management interventions. Specifically, he/she will:
- Support national efforts at capacity building for fisheries co-management committees for effective community resource management
- Prepare technical reports on fisheries and other related issues as often as directed by the COP
- Plan for support schemes to promote the removal of IUU fishing activities
- Support the Chief of Party (COP) with planned activities to recover Ghana fisheries
- Advice on how fisheries management will impact the sustainability of the managed species
- Support monitoring, evaluation, and learning of GFRA project performance and progress relating to fisheries co-management
- Other tasks as requested by Chief of Party or Deputy Chief of Party
- University degree (Master or higher) in fisheries science, aquatic science, ecosystem management, marine biology, coastal/marine resource management, or in relevant fields.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of relevant professional experience
- Demonstrated relative experience with USAID and/or other donor-funded projects of similar size and complexity
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment
- Good knowledge of current fisheries management challenges at different levels particularly within the small-scale pelagic fisheries in Ghana
- Good knowledge of existing and emerging conflicts among Ghana’s small-scale, semi-industrial and industrial fisheries sub-sectors
- Good knowledge of the application of fishery management plans in different management scenarios
- Good understanding of the concept of Ecosystem Approach to Fisheries Management (EAFM) and how it can be applied in fisheries management in Ghana
- Professional written and spoken proficiency in English required
- Must be computer literate (in Microsoft Office applications such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including patience, diplomacy, willingness to listen and respect for colleagues.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team. Must also be able to work effectively in a team environment.
- Professional fluency in English is required.
Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls will be accepted about these positions. Deadline for submission of applications is October 20, 2021 but applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis.
How to Apply?
Please log in to see application instructions.