Terms of Reference For The Recruitment of a Consultant To Develop Business Plan for Radio Program Sustainability
Farm Radio International is currently working on designing and testing a sustainability model to ensure the provision of good and gender-responsive radio programs for rural communities in
Ghana. Based on previous research conducted in Northern Ghana, we know that there is a strong willingness to invest on the part of key actors, including farmers and agricultural businesses into sustainable farmer radio programs.
The research shows that farmers are clearly committed to agricultural radio. Farmers indicate that agricultural radio helps increase their incomes, and are willing to contribute to the cost of making the agricultural radio program through phone credit deduction. Agricultural radio programming is seen to have strategic benefits for businesses. Market actors such as inputs suppliers, aggregators and agribusinesses are ready to invest and partner with FRI in various ways in a market-oriented agricultural radio program that targets farmers and delivers measurable results.
The viability of agricultural radio programming could be structured around three main interrelated pillars (social, institutional and financial sustainability) and three main stakeholder groups (farmers, radio stations and for-profit and non-profit actors). Social investment by program users is essential, i.e. farmers and other actors in agricultural value chains need to trust in program content on the basis of service and results. Institutional investment is also critical, from radio stations as organization and businesses and from key stakeholder groups, including market actors, development intermediaries and government, both in financial investment and in-kind contributions. FRI has established a framework for sustainability and is running programming in Ghana based on this framework.
This Terms of Reference is aimed to recruit a consultant to develop the business plan for FRI, including a marketing strategy, based on a social franchise model. The Business Plan will help to mobilize key stakeholder groups and explore this model more concretely to invest into the sustainability of these and many other FRI program. There will be the need to organize or interact with key stakeholder groups in Ghana to assess the opportunities and value of interactive radio services vis-a-vis their information and communication needs.FRI is also committed to promote gender equality and women’s rights. It will be expected that this Business Plan includes gender equality related components.
- To develop business plan (that are gender-sensitive) that strengthen long term interactive radio services in radio programming and other programs in Farm Radio.
- To Set up and train a business team to implement the plan and strategies
- To engage and establish partnerships with the key stakeholders
As a business development consultant, you'll need to:
● Review and understand FRI interactive radio services and sustainability model.
● Review and understand FRI’s vision on gender equality
● To research and identify new business opportunities - including new markets, growth areas, trends, customers, partnerships, products and services - or new ways of reaching existing markets
● Research and understand the needs of customers and be able to respond effectively tailor a plan of how to meet these
● Develop Business plans that sees the bigger picture and set aims and objectives in order to develop and improve the sustainability of radio programs
● To Identify and seek out the appropriate partnership with key stakeholders
● To generate leads and cold call prospective customers
● To establish and train teams to meet with customers/clients face to face or over the phone
● To develop sample template and promotional strategy and activities for business development with the helps from Communication department
- Business model (gender-sensitive) and investment plan for sustainable interactive radio services drafted, shared and finalized with stakeholders.
- Business plans developed (Marketing, and Return on Investment)
- Business Development Team established and trained
- Partnerships developed for business engagement
- Key templates and Standard operation manuals developed (on Key processes such as identifying a client to clinching a business deal)
Timeframe and Level of Effort (LoE)
● December 2020 - March 2021
● We estimate a level of effort of about 12 days per month
Qualification and competences
● University degree in Business Administration, Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Communication or relevant discipline.
● Excellent networking, facilitation, design and business and service development skills
● Good understanding on business modelling, planning and partnership development
● Good understanding of communication for development and radio market or sector.
● Experience in innovation and ability to mobilize diverse stakeholders
● Proven ability to engage with private sector actors
● Understanding of gender equality issues
● A technical proposal which includes your understanding of the assignment and a brief description on how you will accomplish the assignment (maximum 3 pages)
● CV of consultant highlighting experiences relevant to the assignment
● Financial proposal (fees only) using the format:
- No. of days, daily rate, Total Fee, Comments
How to apply:
● If you are qualified and interested, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
● No. of days Daily rate Total fee Comments
● Only applicants selected will be contacted.
How to Apply?
Please log in to see application instructions.