The USAID-funded Ghana Fisheries Recovery Activity In Ghana, implemented by Tetra Tech International Development (http://www.tetratech.com/intdev) is currently accepting expressions of interest for qualified candidates to fill the position of Community Fisheries Field Agent. This position will be based in the main office in Accra and Takoradi. The purpose of the Ghana Fisheries Recovery Activity (GFRA) is to prevent the collapse of the small pelagic fishery sector in Ghana while improving the supplemental livelihoods, resilience, and food security.
The Ghana Fisheries Recovery Activity (GFRA) aims to prevent the collapse of the small pelagic fishery sector in Ghana while improving the supplemental livelihoods, resilience, and food security. This Activity seeks to improve supplemental livelihoods and resilience measures for fishing communities, particularly for women and youth; facilitate private sector engagement and market linkages in the fishing sector; strengthen government capacity in policy making, regulation, and enforcement; strengthen improved science and research, including data for policy and management decisions; and empower key stakeholders to effect change.
The Community Fisheries Field Agent must have an extensive experience working with District Assemblies, traditional fisheries authorities, community leaders and fisherfolks in remote coastal fishing communities in Ghana. The candidate must have a strong understanding of fisheries management policies and practices in Ghana and how to support fisheries management, co-management, and enforcement of fisheries regulations at the community level.
The Community Fisheries Agent will work closely with the GFRA fisheries management team and provide full-time support to design and implement fisheries management and development strategies and interventions in partnership with government and civil society organizations at the community level. The position plays a key role in supporting all GFRA Objectives in focal communities, including working with District Assemblies, Community Fisheries Management Committees, civil society and other activity implementing partners to strengthen constituencies to promote and implement sustainable fisheries management in Ghana.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks:
The Community Fisheries Field Agent will play a major role in ensuring the quality and timeliness of GFRA community fisheries interventions. Specifically, he/she will:
- Support the implementation and operation of fisheries co-management across Ghana’s four coastal regions to promote sustainable fishing
- Actively participate in the running of community fisheries events and enforcement of community fisheries by-laws in GFRA focus communities
- Provide support to GFRA program efforts at capacity building on fisheries management with existing community fisheries associations, local institutions, and key fisheries stakeholders
- In collaboration with the GFRA fisheries management and communications team, develop effective communication products that promote understanding by communities of ecological and management issues relating to coastal fisheries
- Support the Sustainable Coastal Livelihood Specialist to implement appropriate capability-building initiatives that generate employment among members of the fishing communities especially youth aged 15years to 35years.
- Support monitoring, evaluation, and learning of GFRA project performance and progress
- Prepare technical reports on GFRA community fisheries interventions
- Perform any other duties as directed by the GFRA Chief of Party
- University degree in fisheries management, fisheries science, aquatic science, ecosystem management, marine biology, coastal/marine resource management, or in relevant fields.
- Minimum of four (4) years of relevant professional experience working in remote fishing communities
- Good knowledge of community fisheries social-ecological systems
- Demonstrated relative experience with USAID and/or other donor-funded projects of similar size and complexity
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment
- Must be computer literate (in Microsoft Office applications such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including patience, diplomacy, willingness to listen and respect for colleagues.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team. Must also be able to work effectively in a team environment.
- Professional fluency in English is required.
Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls will be accepted about these positions. Deadline for submission of applications is October 20, 2021 but applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis.
How to Apply?
Please log in to see application instructions.