Tetra Tech International Development Services is currently accepting applications from qualified Communications and Outreach Lead candidates for the USAID-funded West Africa Biodiversity and Low Emissions Development (WABiLED) Activity. The Communications and Outreach Lead will manage the overall communications portfolio of the project and promote objectives related to combatting wildlife trafficking; reducing deforestation, forest degradation and biodiversity loss; and reducing greenhouse gas emissions and increase carbon sequestration from improved land use. S/he will work closely with technical, M&E and cross-cutting services team members to ensure that communications products are developed in a professional manner and external and internal communications messages are tailored to specific audiences for maximum impact.
- Develop, implement, and manage the project’s overall communications and outreach strategy
- Ensure high-end editorial control over all communications and outreach products including supervising and hiring editors and translators as needed
- Oversee production of internal and external communication materials for USAID, including quarterly/annual/Semi-Annual reports, work plans, brief memos, press releases, and event invitations.
- Prioritize, develop, disseminate, and provide quality control to communication, outreach, and knowledge management and learning (KML) materials, including advocacy materials, in support of project objectives.
- Working with the COP and as co-designed and developed with the technical team, lead awareness-raising campaigns targeted at public, government, and relevant stakeholders including private sector and development partners;
- Develop communications materials in collaboration with technical, M&E and cross-cutting staff, including toolkits, manuals, documents and other resources, that are accessible, user-friendly, timely, and tailored primarily for diverse audiences and stakeholders in West Africa and beyond including donors and international policy fora.
- Build capacity among staff, partners and other stakeholders around information and KML product development and effective dissemination.
- Collaborate closely with project Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialists to monitor, evaluate, and track communication, outreach, and advocacy materials and events in support of project indicators and support to grantees.
- Develop a Branding and Marking Plan (BMP) and ensure its application on all communications materials subject to USAID requirements.
- Collaborate with the Tetra Tech home office communications team as appropriate, including sharing of success stories, social media recommendations, and communication products developed in the field.
- Master’s Degree in Communication, Marketing, International Development, Public Relations, Environmental Studies, or a related field. Individuals with a combination of a Bachelor’s Degree with strong field experience are encouraged to apply.
- 8+ years of experience designing, implementing, and managing complex communication strategies, particularly in a West Africa setting, or designing and leading public relations and advocacy efforts for mission-driven organizations, advocacy groups, government agencies, or experience with conservation and environmental governance.
- Experience implementing USAID-funded programs and familiarity with USAID regulations strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders, including government officials, project staff and/or donor agencies;
- Experience implementing awareness campaigns, behavior change, social mobilization, and advocacy strategies and their practical application in the environment, climate change, and conversation space highly desirable.
- Motivated self-starter, effective, and collaborative team-player. Ability to set priorities while multi-tasking and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Experience in West Africa strongly preferred.
- Fluency in written and spoken English required; and French is preferred.