- Perform and assist in fire assay analysis on gold ore (unrefined) and refined gold samples related to established standards and procedures.
- Operate, adjust and maintain analytical instruments, including but not limited to XRF, ultra-micro balance, water density and fire assay equipment etc.
- Ensure daily intermediate checks and calibration of all analytical instruments and maintain accurate record-keeping for all documents.
- Ensure laboratory housekeeping is maintained at high standards.
- Enter assay results into the data sheet and submit for review by the senior chemist.
- Conduct quality checks on incoming consumables to the laboratory and update stock register as per ISO/IEC 17025 required procedure.
- Receive, check and register samples properly as per approved procedures.
- Ensure the required PPE is always worn when working at the laboratory and keep correct hygiene procedures.
- Ensure all accidents and incidents at the laboratory are reported and acted upon promptly.
- Confer with the senior chemist when a stock item is getting low for the subsequent request.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A degree in Metallurgical/Chemical Engineering or a related field
- At least 3-5 years hands on experience in a similar role
- Experience in Lab operations is essential.
- Certificate in basic firefighting and first aid would be an added advantage.
- Must be knowledgeable in lab sampling.
- Must be knowledgeable in computer applications especially Microsoft Excel, word and powerpoint.
- Knowledge of solution preparation and standardization.
- Ability to make mathematical computations in relation to calculations of masses, concentrations of compounds etc.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- A team player with ability to lead teams and work under pressure.
- Reliable with an eye for details.