Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- Operates automatically fired boilers to generate steam that supplies heat or power for buildings or industrial processes: Lights gas- or oil-fed burners, using torch.
- Starts fuel pump, water pump and water treatment plant to operate the boiler.
- Observes pressure, temperature, and draft meters on panel to verify specified operation of automatic combustion control systems, feed water regulators, stoker, pulverizer, and burners.
- Turns valves and adjusts controls to set specified fuel feed, draft openings, water level, and steam pressure of boiler.
- Observes boiler and auxiliary units to detect malfunctions and makes repairs, such as changing burners and tightening pipes and fittings.
- May test and treat boiler feed water, using specified chemicals.
- May maintain log of meter and gauge readings and record data, such as water test results and quantity of fuel consumed.
- May be designated according to fuel burned, type of boilers, or class of license required.