1. High standard of Quality Workmanship and Safety on site:
- Concrete operations – accurate scheduling, concrete mixtures & technical quality; ensure testing/sampling of materials is carried out as required
- Liaise with Municipality for inspections and notify the office if construction details differ substantially from approved Building Permit details
- Liaise with Quantity Surveyor & Project Director on issues of quality conformance
- Ensure structural & wet trade conformance to quality checks (maintain quality registers)
- Liaise with site surveyor/supervisor to ensure accurate setting out
- Ensure that testing/sampling of materials is carried out as required
- Set personal example in health, safety and environmental matters by ensuring compliance with company policies and procedures through method statements, risk assessments, and briefings
2. Human Resource Management on site:
- Direct control, motivation & the discipline of subcontractors and other workmen on the site
- Strategic control of all company labor & their productivity
- Manage, supervise and mentor Engineers/Supervisors to ensure high levels of engineering control and generation of appropriate records.
- Review regularly the performance, development and training needs of subordinate staff.
- Maintain a good working relationship with customers and others in the supply chain.
3. Contract improvement actions:
- Assist with structural drawings and their reviews for the company
- Studying drawings & details – ensuring the accuracy of work carried out and querying unclear or missing information with the Project Director
- Actively investigate emerging new techniques and technologies in design management and engineering and advice on the suitable application within the area.
- Identify and act on any potential commercial or contractual liabilities.
4. Safeguard and promote Company’s interests when dealing with subcontractors and suppliers:
- Attend weekly and information meetings and ensure timeous requests for long lead information.
- Attend monthly subcontractor meetings to ensure effective interface.
- Develop a deep understanding of all subcontractor’s scope of work and control their activities on-site in accordance with the program and correct sequence.
- Adopt and promote a cost-conscious attitude through efficient use of company resources
- Communicate with commercial staff to ensure all records for measurement and payment purposes are prepared promptly, in appropriate form
- Keep management informed of business area activity and progress achieved.
5. Ensure contract program deadlines are met and exceeded where possible:
- Review of the construction program and plan for labor, plant, and material resources in consultation with Engineers.
- Prepare 4 weekly programs in conjunction with the Site Supervisor, coordinated with the overall site program
- Monitor 4 weekly programs, mark up progress for review at site meetings.
- Procure necessary materials, sub-contracts, and plant insufficient time.
- Communicate to ensure adequate work preparation and necessary resources available with Site Supervisors
- Liaise with Site Supervisors to ensure timely availability and efficient utilization of resources (plant, labor and materials).
6. Materials and storage management:
- Efficient material control and handling; Formwork design, cycle planning, ordering, and control of materials (un-used material off-site).
- Waste management – responsible to keep the area clean.
- Bachelor’s degree or HND in Architecture, Building Technology, Civil Engineering, Construction Management or Quantity Surveying.
- Minimum of three (3) years experience with any of the top construction companies.
- Demonstrated application of construction health and safety practices, project planning, contract planning, financial management, project management phases of construction, and commercial knowledge.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Reading comprehension of technical documents including architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical and plumbing drawings and ability to challenge designs and resolve problems to conclusion
- Demonstrated experience in construction inspection, report writing, and effective record keeping.
- Proven leadership skills managing a large and diverse workforce, and the ability to motivate staff to achieve high standards of compliance
- Excellent time management and multi-tasking skills; able to manage projects simultaneously without compromising quality standards
- Exemplary analytic problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, MS Project
- Ability to work unsupervised with strong attention to details and a commitment to accuracy
- Valid driver’s license