The Faith Roots International Academy Assistant Principal’s paramount duty is to provide support for the school’s principal, administrator, and teachers regarding our behavioural program in the classrooms. He will be expected to create behaviour plans with individual students who are repeat offenders with cooperation of school administration, teachers, and parents. He will provide accountability and support to teaching staff and students. He will provide counselling, or arrange counselling services coordinating with other City of Refuge Ministry staff, for students with high needs. He will support the on-going work on the school principal. He will assist in arranging academic opportunities for City of Refuge Ministries and Faith Roots children.
Managing Behavioural Health in the School
- a. Conducts comprehensive Functional Behavioural Assessments (FBA) in conjunction with the classroom teacher, the school administration, and parents. Develops Behaviour Support Plans (BSP) and Behaviour Intervention Plans (BIP).
- b. Trains, directs and monitors the work of teachers and classified staff assigned to work with students regarding behavioural challenges and maintaining a positive behaviour program in classrooms, including maintaining classroom management strategies and the school-wide Assertive Discipline plan.
- c. Provides interventions and trains teachers and staff in behavioural interventions for students with special education needs.
- d. Analyzes student behaviour from a functional perspective and develops daily positive interventions.
- e. Researches interventions, treatment techniques, and assessment tool resources and methods.
- f. Participates in meetings with parents and teachers regarding academic performance, behaviour plans, and on-going disciplinary conferences.
- g. Trains staff and monitors data and data collection for behavioural concerns as well as academic tracking (as an assistant to the Principal) in implementation of BSP and BIPs.
- h. Deliver classroom guidance lessons on topics such as bullying, drug abuse, and planning for college or careers after graduation
- i. Submits monthly reports on the attendance of students and the number of behaviour infractions incurred.
Partners with the Leadership team of the School
- a. Participates on the school administrative team assisting the Director of Education and partnering with the school principal and office manager for the overall success of the students, the teachers, and the school.
- b. Assist school principal in a variety of roles including supervision of faculty/staff including meeting one-on-one, ongoing discipleship and teacher mentorship, staff development and trainings, providing ongoing feedback and encouragement for staff, supervising students, communication with parents when necessary, assisting in curriculum selection and instruction supervision as necessary, assist principal and office manager in developing and managing school budget, assist in developing calendars and schedules, and any other related duties that may be required or assigned.
- c. Assist in planning, training, and oversight of bi-monthly staff meetings and training events
Provides Academic Opportunities of City of Refuge Ministries and Faith Roots International Academy Students
- a. Help students/children understand and overcome social or behavioural problems through individual and group counselling in partnership with our Impact One social workers.
- b. Work with students to develop skills such as organization, time management, and effective study habits
- c. Help students set realistic academic and career goals and develop a plan to achieve them through evaluating students’ abilities and interests through aptitude assessments, interviews, individual planning and collaborating with teachers, administrators, and parents to help students succeed
- d. Assist in developing students abilities in soft skills like budgeting, personal time management, professionalism, job interviews, etc. through classes, support opportunities, mentorships, etc.
- e. Provide opportunities for students/children to meet with and hear from professionals from a variety of fields to widen their knowledge for careers available in Ghana
- f. Research educational opportunities for students/children (i.e. quizzes, concerts, clubs, etc) and present opportunities for students/children to participate in programs that create an environment of excitement and hope regarding education and the rigor that is required to become successful adults.
Parent and Community Relations
- Meet with parents regarding student absences, disciplinary infractions, or student needs. May include home visitations.
- Attend and participate in PTA meetings
- Create and maintain ongoing professional relationships with colleague teachers, maintaining authority, but with Biblical grace and a level of understanding and personability.
- Assist in leading morning assemblies and Friday afternoon assemblies.
- Lead the student elections for school prefects. Meet with them weekly to encourage on-going leadership and Biblical character.