Report To: Medical Director
- Confer with other medical professionals to determine the type and method of anaesthetic or sedation to render patient insensible to pain.
- Coordinate administration of anaesthetics with surgeons during operation.
- Decide when patients have recovered or stabilized enough to be sent to another room or ward or to be sent home following outpatient surgery.
- Examine patient, obtain medical history and use diagnostic tests to determine risk during surgical, obstetrical, and other medical procedures.
- Monitor patient before, during, and after anaesthesia and counteract adverse reactions or complications.
- Record type and amount of anaesthesia and patient condition throughout the procedure.
- Conduct medical research to aid in controlling and curing disease, to investigate new medications, and to develop and test new medical techniques.
- Coordinate and direct work of nurses, medical technicians and other health care providers.
- Diagnose illnesses, using examinations, tests and reports.
- Inform students and staff of types and methods of anesthesia administration, signs of complications, and emergency methods to counteract reactions
- Lead Physician in the Intensive Care Unit.
- Provide weekend cover either by same or in conjunction with Locum Anaesthetists.
Research: Conduct research and clinical audit
Training: Training of clinical team as and when necessary.
Administrative Function: As scheduled by the Medical Director – one day per week set aside for admin functions.
Qualification and Requirements
- A degree in Medicine from an accredited school of Medicine
- A Member / Fellow of Ghana College Physicians and Surgeons or of the West African
- College of Physician or of any other accredited college of Postgraduate studies in Medicine
- Licensed to practice by the Ghana Medical and Dental Council
- A recommendation from a consultant will be an added advantage
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- He/she must possess excellent hand-eye coordination
- Must have the ability to think and act critically at all times
- Must show understanding and support to patients in emergency situations
- Must have good organizational skills
- Must possess good interpersonal skills
- Possess good decision-making ability even under pressure
- Must have a keen eye for every important detail
- He/she should be able to work as part of a team or even lead a team if need be
- Ability to stay calm even in the most chaotic of scenarios
- Ability to organize workload and work under pressure.
- Assertiveness- ability to articulate views and decisions and stick to them where necessary.
- Trustworthiness – ability to conduct self in a manner which elicits trust, respect and confidence of team members, clients, colleagues and suppliers.