Role: Service Manager (Auto)
Also known as: Workshop Manager, Workshop Controller, Service Manager
Competencies encompass knowledge, skills, and abilities, combined with other personal characteristics such as proactivity and motivation that contribute to successful individual and organizational performance.
Competencies are not only about what you know, but how you apply what you know. Competence is defined as the “Ability and will to perform tasks through applying knowledge and skills.” (ISO definition). This means that competences are demonstrated and observable as we perform our work. We differ between Professional Competencies, General knowledge and skills and
• Professional Competencies are the specific duties and task identified in the generic role. Professional competences highlight the abilities needed to perform the duties and task of the role and
can be observed at work. E.g. “Prospecting” or “Workshop Management”.
• General Knowledge and Skills are needed to perform the duties and tasks of the role. Knowledge is the theoretical understanding of a subject and skills are proficiency in performing a physical or mental activity. General knowledge and skills are general to many roles. E.g. “Accounting”, “Welding”.
• Personal Competencies are qualities we need to demonstrate for successful work results. E.g. “Proactivity” or “Teamwork”. Our general competency scale for defining required competency level:
1. Acquire: Learning to be able to apply the competence in work situations. Able to apply competence in work situations using support.
2. Apply: Able to apply competence in work situations independently without support.
3. Guide: Able to apply competence in work situations with extraordinary or complex conditions and guide and lead others.
4. Shape: Considered as an expert and drives the development of new concepts and methods
5. Innovate: Considered as an authority in the field, both internally and externally
Workshop management – Manage and plan the daily operations of the workshop, working with and acting on deviations. Leading and motivating the workshop and service staff and Services Salesman personnel.
Set routines for planning and follow up meetings
• Carry out regular meetings
• Verify there is an efficient flow of authorized work in the workshop, ensuring quality and documentation
• Develop, implement and monitor standards and routines, maintaining a high standard of cleanliness and tidiness within the workshop
• Monitor the ongoing condition of workshop tools and equipment, arranging purchase, repair and calibration
• Monitor and handle deviations, initiate proper actions and escalations
• Promote and work with DOS to ensure uniform quality standards in all areas of the business
• Coordinate the Spare Parts activity to ensure parts availability, ensure service exchange and warranty parts procedures are adhered to
• Manage the workshop facilities
• Create working time schedules for work shifts
Workshop customer relations – Develop and manage customer relationships ensuring that customer needs are met and services are developed to meet the future needs of the customer.
Build and maintain the right level of relationships with customer representatives.
• Monitor the processing of complaints and process major or complicated complaints
• Assist workshop personnel and customers regarding technical issues.
• Participate in meetings with Key customers when required
Workshop Service solution sales – Increase service solutions sales by developing, maintaining and communicating the services portfolio and solutions according to customer needs.
Market and communicate our services solutions to existing and potential customers
• Coordinate and follow up of the Services Salesman activities if required by the reporting line
• Enable a team based approach ensuring open and effective communication within the workshop to achieve common business objectives
• Monitor the workshop’s pricing and discounts to ensure that they meet the established level
• Cooperate with other local and distributor departments to develop, maintain and communicate the services strategy, portfolio and solutions
Follow up workshop results – Develop the workshop business by following up budget, results, operational targets and taking measures in order, to achieve set targets.
Manage and analyze the workshop’s running costs and expenditure budget
• Regularly follow up service business and financial results
• Set, monitor, maintain and follow up KPI:s
• Work with and handle applicable licenses for the workshop operations, monitor possible developments
• Analyze current standards to identify and present opportunities for improvement of the workshop
• Proactively initiate improvement activities, ensuring conditions are in place to achieve workshop goals
General knowledge and skills
Using an understanding of business issues, processes and outcomes to enhance business performance
Managing others to ensure their work contributes to organizational goals. Developing individuals, building teams, resolving conflicts and applying workplace policies
Planning, allocating and mobilizing resources (human, physical, information and financial resources) to achieve organizational goals
Maintains an up to date understanding of products and services necessary to perform duties and tasks. Understands our products and services value proposition connected to processes and
Demonstrates understanding for importance of safety and health policies, procedures and regulations. Creates and safeguards a healthy, safe and sustainable work environment for all employees.
Applicable process, standards and guidelines
• Complying with SRS, and DOS regulations
• High school education
• Technical experience
• Experience from dealership position or similar
• Supervisory experience
• Relevant work experience in automotive industry
• Heavy vehicle licence