Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a United States-based research and policy non-profit organization that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. As its core business, IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. IPA has conducted hundreds of randomized evaluations across sectors, learning both whether programs work, and how they can work better.
Complementing this core business, the Right-Fit Evidence (RFE) Unit at IPA is a newer effort aimed at helping organizations build strong and tailored Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) systems, which balance the need for information on impact with operational data to support management decisions. In close collaboration with IPA’s sector programs and country office teams worldwide, the unit will provide consulting and direct services to implementers, donors, and governments, with the goal of helping them figure out what reliable data and evidence to gather, how to do it in a cost-effective way, and how to make the promise of data-informed programmatic decisions a reality.
Innovations for Poverty Action’s Right-Fit Evidence Unit is seeking a Senior M&E Associate/Coordinator to take a lead advisory role to a portfolio of partner organizations on how to develop and implement adaptive Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) systems. In the first year, the Senior M&E Associate/Coordinator will work on a joint program involving implementing organizations working on issues surrounding youth employment, SME finance and technical and vocational training. The position may expand to other engagements as the Right-Fit Evidence Unit grows.
position is based in Accra, Ghana. The Senior M&E Associate/Coordinator
will report directly to the Right-Fit Evidence Engagement Manager and will
receive additional oversight and support from the IPA Ghana policy and
management teams, and the Global Right-Fit Evidence unit.
Job Title: Senior Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Associate/Coordinator
Job Location: Accra, Greater Accra
- Design and facilitate regular learning workshops in which implementers are taking stock of the results achieved so far, adapt their programming, and draw new priority questions for M&E
- Provide technical advice to partners on the development and maintenance of M&E plans, the design of indicators, data collection methods, and data management, working both with administrative and survey data
- Train client team members in how to collect, analyse and summarize M&E data
- Support clients to draft theories of change (ToCs) for project activities, by reviewing program documents and relevant literature. Assist clients to identify M&E questions to test the assumptions in their ToCs, and to design cost-effective approaches to rigorously test these assumptions
- Assist clients to prepare materials for regular MEL workshops and meetings, including the coordination of an ambitious annual cross-partners learning event
- Help draw cross-implementer lessons relevant to the donor’s own learning agenda and the sector as a whole
- Play a role in the development and performance of other engagements for the RFE Unit
Qualification and Requirements
- Master’s degree in economics, public policy, social science, or a related field
- Experience in management consulting or other professional services
- Demonstrated ability to coach and train others in statistics, data analysis or MEL methodologies
- Experience with programs relating to youth workforce development and/or private sector development
- Familiarity with the concepts surrounding the Theory of Change and the core tools of MEL (both quantitative and qualitative research methods)
- Familiarity with SurveyCTO, Open Data Kit or similar survey software, SMS or Interactive Voice Response (IVR) technology
- Ability to use Stata, R or similar statistical software
- Authorization to work in Ghana