Under the leadership of the National Director, and direct supervision of the Director of Impact, the Research & Learning (R&L) Manager will be responsible for supporting research, learning, evidence generation and dissemination. The R&L manager will support the learning, iterative refinement and systematic documentation of Ghana’s programmes to help inform both internal programming and strategic decision making, and external engagements with partners and stakeholders. The specific activities will include managing research and consultant services where applicable, conducting literature review and researching new trends, synthesizing monitoring and evaluation data, report writing and leading on learning and dissemination activities.
Working closely with the Monitoring and Evaluation Manager, the function will effectively coordinate and synthesize monitoring and evaluation data gathered via routine monitoring, surveys and evaluations. The function will also work closely with the Strategic Partnerships and Communications Manager to ensure key learnings are documented, tailored and appropriately disseminated to both internal and external audiences.
Externally, the R&L Manager will effectively engage with research and learning networks, practitioners and relevant institutions to access, research, evaluate and promote the best available external practices and resources within the Ghana programme.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
1. Programme Research Support and Donor Reporting (40%)
- Supervise all research and learning initiatives for assigned donors and programs, including tracking, reporting and ensuring quality control
- Provide research data as required for independent program evaluations and ensure learnings from the evaluations are incorporated into program implantation strategies and activities as appropriate
- Work with program staff, stakeholders, and partners to develop research and learning frameworks, systems, tools and procedures that will provide useful insight to enable reporting on program outcomes
- Lead the development of research tools for all research projects in areas such as study design, methodology, sampling, ethical protocols, survey development, data collection & data management/analysis, storage and retrieval
- Identify any risks to the program’s ability to report on the achievements of the program and suggest solutions for redress
- Engage research and learning networks, practitioners and relevant institutions to access, research, evaluate and promote the best available external practices and resources
- Keep abreast with wider developmental research publications and trends in order to advise and recommend tools and strategies to increase program performances and results.
Key Performance Indicator
1. Develop a Research and Learning (R&L) Framework and ensure periodic updating
2. Develop and periodically update a Research and Learning Dissemination Plan, drawing on the M&E Annual Workplan
3. Share quarterly research scanning reports that reflect current research publications and trends within sectors relevant to our work.
4. Deliver a minimum of 1 R&L training/orientation for our staff per calendar year.
2. Learning, Knowledge Sharing and Capacity Building (40%)
- Work closely with the M&E Manager to synthesize monitoring information from field monitoring reports and surveys, identify key issues and trends and communicate findings to the wider Programme Team
- Ensure that information needs and gaps are supported with specific research studies or through other research and learning methods
- Provide technical assistance and training our stakeholders and partners to appreciate and use monitoring information in a manner that is beneficial to program implementation
- Organize research workshops, seminars, reflection meetings, and other learning events to develop internal and external learning capacity and drive advocacy
- Work closely with the Strategic Planning and Communications Manager to package quality and accurate program research reports, output results, stories of change, and other communications and learning pieces, for wider dissemination and advocacy.
- Promote a strong learning culture within the organization that is inclusive, creative and forward thinking.
Key Performance Indicator
2. Deliver a minimum of 1 Research and Learning (R&L) training/orientation for our Stakeholders per calendar year
3. Share periodic synthesized research reports internally with Programme teams on a quarterly basis.
4. Organize a minimum of 1 Research Workshop/Seminar per calendar year to disseminate research and drive advocacy
3. Planning and Management (20%)
- Provide planning and management oversight of the R&L team on delivering the team’s mandate.
- Support the development of technical papers, reports and publications of the R&L department.
- Support the development of our strategic and annual work plans
- Support the review of annual work plans and activity reporting
-Implement the approved annual/quarterly work/operating plans and budgets in compliance with donor requirements and our policies and procedures
- Ensuring that the R&L department prepares accurate and complete quarterly Expenditure Authorizations (EAs), Weekly Payment Proposals (WPPs) with full support documentations, and follow up to collect all receipts/acknowledgement forms from clients/vendors or other.
- Develop and periodically review job descriptions (JDs) of R&L team members or staff under direct supervision
- Support the appraisal and training needs and capacity development of R&L team members including ensuring up-to-date Performance Reviews and Personal Development Plans.
Key Performance Indicator
1. Periodic update to Management on status of implementation of R&L department Annual/Quarterly Workplan and budget
2. Accurate and timely submission of WPP’s with support documents – Thursdays
3. Time taken to submit vendors/clients receipts/acknowledgement forms after our payments – 1 week
4. Accurate and timely submission of EA’s - by the 10th working day of month
5. Percentage of EA spent - (90-100%) spend.
6. All R&L team members have job descriptions reviewed and updated annually per employment terms of contract cycle.
7. All R&L Team members have Performance Reviews and Personal Development Plans updated in compliance with our HR policy and guidance.
8. At least 90% of all R&L team members fully execute their PDP by end of calendar year.
Qualifications and Experience
- A postgraduate degree in social sciences, statistics, development studies or other relevant discipline.
- 5 years of experience in similar research-focused positions. Experience in education, financial inclusion and entrepreneurship is a plus.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience of designing and managing research, including managing external Consultants to conduct high level researches.
- Experience of conducting mixed-method research and very good background in qualitative research methods.
- Familiar with computer adapted data collection and analysis platforms.
- Conversant with data analysis software, preferably STATA for quantitative data analysis.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, and an ability to produce and disseminate research, monitoring and evaluation outputs to a variety of audiences using effective approaches
- Demonstrated ability to think critically, strategically, analyse complex information, and offer creative, practical and effective solutions.
- Ability to manage teams, set clear work plan objectives, assess progress and undertake periodic reviews to align with any unanticipated changes.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, work under pressure and meet deadlines at the desired level of quality and with limited supervision
- Ability to give professional support and direction to others seek, review and apply best practice from elsewhere.
- Familiar with learning and knowledge management systems and approaches, including conducting independent research reviews and synthesising findings in a coherent manner.
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with stakeholders and partner organizations.
- Demonstrated strong values and ethics in relation to promoting child protection, gender equality and driving female empowerment in line with our core values.
Areas of Operation: Accra & Tamale