Job Title: Finance Officer
Project: Employment promotion in the informal sector in Africa by leveraging diaspora money transfers ("WIDU" platform)
Reports To: Head of Programme
Assignment Period: October 2019 to May 2020 (with option for an extension until 2022)
Location: Accra, Ghana
“Employment promotion in the informal sector” is the new regional project that contributes to improving the employment and income situation in Africa. Start-up and micro-entrepreneurs are supported by improved access to finance through leveraging of migrants' transfers of funds and capacity-building of entrepreneurial skills. Through the digital "WIDU" platform, the project applications are submitted jointly by members of the African Diaspora in Germany and micro- entrepreneurs in Africa. In addition, the platform provides the framework for coaching services and for the networking of participating micro-entrepreneurs. Given the innovative P2P approach of the project, it will be piloted in Ghana and Cameroon for 9-months. If the pilot phase is successful, a later increase and extension of the project to other African countries is planned.
The Finance Officer acts as a link between the project team and the administrative teams of GIZ Country Office (Accra) and in GIZ Headquarters; handles the further development of new digital procedures and their operationalization, carries out procurement and manages all accounting.
Further Development of Instruments and Event Management
- Participate in the final development of a new digital contract format and administrative procedure
- Operationalize new financial and administrative procedure based on “back office/moderation” procedures of the new WIDU software platform
- Support with the organization of field missions, events and capacity-building activities for partners and advisors on new digital contract and accounting procedures
- Do the accounting of invoices for GIZ office and the project
- Manage, monitor a high number of small scale mobile money and bank account transfers
- In cooperation with the accountants at the GIZ Country Office (who use WINPACCS bankbook and cashbook software), balance both books periodically, prepare the project for both regular and unannounced cash counts and prepare bank reconciliation statements
- Send monthly cashbook and bankbook print outs with the accompanying vouchers, cash count report and bank reconciliation statements to the GIZ Country Office
- Follow up on and provide status reports on all receivables
- Calculate travel advances, ensure checking of invoices for material and arithmetic accuracy 3. Other duties/additional tasks
- Prepare consultancy, local subsidy and financial contracts, monitor reporting and vouchers presented by consultant or partner organization, organise regular meetings and follow up;
- Keep up to date with current Procedures and Rules of GIZ and give regular updates on changes and news relevant to the project
- Quality control service request documents to country office for the project.
- Ensure preparation of internal controls and external audits
- Training of partners and advisors on accounting and procurement procedures
- Support in suitability checks of prospective partners
- Support accountability checks of partner organisations and entrepreneurs receiving grants as well as organisation of external audits provide guidance for improvement measures
- Support verification of identity of entrepreneurs and electronic checking of sanction lists
- Contribute to the training of partner organisations to correctly manage their financial support
- Assist in and/or carry out other office activities and other tasks, as assigned
Qualification and Requirements
- Minimum requirement BSc/BA in accounting, business admin., finance or similar area
- Experience with CoSoft and Winpacs accounting software
- At least 4-5 years of work experience with a focus on accounting / administration ▪ Good communication and excellent organizational skills
- Very good working knowledge of modern telecommunication and computer applications
- Experience in IT-based accounting programs
- Good working knowledge of IT platform technologies and openness for new platforms
- Excellent command of English, ideally a knowledge of French and/or German
- Ability to take responsibility and work on own initiative
- Disciplined and punctual; willingness to keep deadlines
Willingness to strengthen skills and competencies as required by the tasks Our Offer Competitive GIZ salary grid (Band 4 Ghana), SSNIT, Health insurance, as well as 13th Month Salary and Annual Bonus. Interested and suitable applicants are to forward their detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a one – page cover letter to: [email protected] under the job code 2019/WIDU/09/01.
Please note: If you do not hear from us two (2) weeks after the deadline, please consider your application unsuccessful. Closing date: 04.10.2019
How to Apply?
Please log in to see application instructions.